DOWN is not just a movement. It is found in nature, and both humans and birds need and appreciate it.
Read this post to see what the double meaning of this word is.
1. Down is known primarily as a preposition, adverb or adjective.
- Can you come down to the hall for a moment?
- The computer’s down again.
- Jim sounded down on the phone.
It can also be a verb:
They downed two bottles of red wine with their dinner.
2. A down is a soft, fine feather.
Birds need them to keep warm, and use them to make their nests comfortable.
We use them in winter jackets and bedcovers. These are called eiderdowns (even if they are filled with some material other than feathers).